Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Bible Challenge: Day 240

The scriptures read are Isaiah 64-66, Psalm 46 and Hebrews 2.

Isaiah 64. Instead of speaking for God, the prophet is speaking to God. He is pleading for his people. He admits they are sinful but says, "God, you made us this way, like the potter does the clay. Your beautiful city is in ruins. Aren't you going to do something about it?"

Isaiah 65. God says, "I've been here all along. If you haven't found me, it's not because I moved away from you. I will rescue my people but for those who don't respond to me, who have chosen evil, it will not go well."

"I am creating new heavens and a new earth." Sound familiar? If not, read Revelation 21. And to wrap it up, we get the peaceable kingdom again where even predator and prey can live together.

Isaiah 66. One last mixture of judgment and hope. More talk of the new heavens and new earth. Ends on a sour note, so Jews traditionally repeat verse 23 to compensate.

Psalm 46. A lovely simple version of this psalm here.

Hebrews 2. God, who made us a little lower than the angels, sent Jesus, who is way above the angels, to experience death in our stead, to destroy death and disease and to free us from the power of fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment