Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Bible Challenge: Day 31

The scriptures read are Exodus 28-30, Psalm 26 and Matthew 27.

Exodus 28. Many years ago I went to the Holy Land theme park in Orlando. I dragged my daughter along to see if it was anything the kids in our Sunday School would enjoy. My daughter felt it needed some more kid-friendly attractions (like a Noah's Ark water ride or Book of Revelation thrill ride), but as a Bible geek, I loved the room-sized model Jerusalem and the life-sized reproduction of the tabernacle with an actor dressed as an Israelite priest. If you want to see what the fully-vested high priest looked like, click here.

Exodus 29. While I was going through the ordination process, my brother, who is hard of hearing, asked what I was learning. I said, "Mostly priest craft." My brother looked surprised and shocked. He said he thought I was being rather casual about it. A small comedy of errors later, I found out he misheard my response as "mostly priest crap." This chapter is ancient Israelite priest craft. I'm sure glad my ordination involved less blood splashing.

Exodus 30. More temple furnishings and the making of holy oil and incense. Do not try this at home.

Psalm 26. The psalmist asks for God to test and vindicate him.

Matthew 27. Judas has remorse but doesn't ask for forgiveness. Jesus is crucified and entombed.

No comments:

Post a Comment